Anniversary - We will be 70

Sattel-Hochstuckli AG celebrates its 70th anniversary.

In July 2020 it will be 70 years since the Hochstuckli was made accessible by chairlift from Sattel. A lot has happened during this time, but the focus is still the same: to inspire and delight our guests with innovative offers at all times of the year. In our anniversary year, our guests are the focus of attention and benefit from special offers.

70% discount - every 7th of the month


Celebrate with us and benefit during the summer season every 7th of the month from 70% discount on the day ticket and combination ticket Rondo's Children's World*.

Dates 2020
Sunday, 7 June 2020
Tuesday, 7 July 2020
Friday, 7 August 2020
Monday, 7 September 2020
Wednesday, 7 October 2020

Variants
Ascent and descent Normal price 70% Discount
Adults CHF 24 CHF 7.20
Children 6-16 years CHF 12 CHF 3.60
Combi-Ticket Rondos Children's World Normal price 70% Discount
2 adults + 2 children CHF 135 CHF 40.50

*Not cumulative with other offers and discounts.


Milestones

1949 Foundation of the «Skilift and Chairlift AG Sattel-Hochstuckli» (SSH)
1950 Opening of the chairlift (detachable 2-seater chairlift, Müller system)
1951 Opening of the Hochstuckli ski lift as a combined lift (single chair in summer)
1993 Share capital increase and change of name to «Sattel-Hochstuckli AG»
1993 Opening of the toboggan run «Stuckli Run»
1994 Partial renewal of the Hochstuckli ski lift. Closure summer operation
1994 Purchase of the Engelstock ski lift from Benjamin Schnüriger
1996 Opening of the Engelstock panorama trail as a winter and summer trail
2003 Opening of the bouncy castle «Stuckli Jump»
2004 Purchase of the Bärenfang ski lift from Leo Leuthard
2004 Purchase of the Roller Park Sattel
2005 Opening of «Stuckli Rondo», the world's first revolving gondola
2005 Extension of the Mostelberg-Sattel toboggan run
2009 Staged implementation of the Sattel-Mostelberg snowmaking system
2010 Opening of «Raiffeisen Skywalk», longest pedestrian suspension bridge in Europe
2011 Purchase of Berggasthaus Mostelberg
2014 Opening of the Magic Tunnel and Kinderland
2015 Opening of summer tubing run
2018 TourCert sustainability certification as the first mountain railway worldwide
2019 Renewal of snowmaking system Herrenboden to Stuckliboden

Skiing on the Hochstuckli in the «pre-mechanized» time


From 1920 onwards, the Hochstuckli was one of the preferred ski mountains, especially for ski tourists from the Zurich and Zug regions. The Südostbahn (south-east railway) brought skiers from Zurich to Biberegg in extra trains. From there the ascent took place via Mäderen and Banegg to the Hochstuckli. The descent led via Herrenboden-Mostelberg-Halten-Ennetbach. The extra trains were then ready at Sattel-Aegeri station to take the guests back to Zurich in the evening. On good ski Sundays, it is said that around 2000 people already enjoyed skiing on the Hochstuckli!

1950 Opening of the chair lift

As early as 1939, an initiative committee for the construction of conveyor systems for skiers in Sattel was formed. However, due to the war and the difficulty of obtaining materials, this venture failed. Only after the end of the war did the project pick up speed again. The initiative committee met for its first meeting on 6 June 1946.

Members of this initiative committee were:

  • Albert Schnüriger, district judge, Sattel
  • Hermann Marty, master saddler, Sattel
  • Robert Marty, master joiner, Sattel
  • Dr. Otto Zuber, director of the SOB
  • Edwin Müller, secretary of the SOB
  • Werner Riesen, Deputy Managing Director of Schweizerische Reisekasse (now REKA)

On 19 December 1949, the founding meeting of Skilift & Sesselbahn AG Sattel-Hochstuckli took place in Sattel. As early as 5 July 1950, the detachable two-seater chairlift from Sattel to Mostelberg was opened as the first chairlift in Switzerland with the GMD (Gerhard Müller Maschinenbau, Dietlikon) coupling system.

1951 Ski lift Hochstuckli as combination lift

On 30 December 1951 the second section Herrenboden-Hochstuckli was opened. This lift was built by the Müller company as a combined lift. This means that the lift was operated as a ski lift in winter and as a chair lift in summer. For the chairlift operation, single chairs were available which were fixed to the rope and also arranged crosswise to the direction of travel. Initially, a Deutz diesel engine provided the necessary drive energy in the valley station, and it was not until 1954 that the combustion engine could be replaced by an electric drive motor, after the Herrenboden area had been developed with a power line. Since 1994, the loss-making summer operation on the second section has been abandoned; the system was renovated by Garaventa and converted into a pure ski lift.

1993 Opening of the summer toboggan run «Stuckli Run»

Right next to the Mostelberg mountain station, the 600m long summer toboggan run with steep wall curves and tunnels was built in 1993. The opening of the «Stuckli Run» summer toboggan run took place on 3 July 1993 and marked a turning point in the company's history. The goal of the summer toboggan run was to reduce the one-sided dependence on winter operations, which had been dangerous in previous years because of deficits. As a result, the summer operation developed very positively and the set goal (to reduce the dependency on winter) could be achieved by the construction of further summer and all-year offers.

2005 Opening of the revolving gondola «Stuckli Rondo»

After around 55 years of operation, the Müller chairlift was replaced in 2005 by the world's first revolving gondola lift «Stuckli Rondo» (Garaventa) and was ceremonially opened on 17 July 2005 after a construction period of only 149 days. The new construction of the access lift at a cost of around 8 million Swiss francs as a revolving gondola lift required a capital increase and the support of the municipality, canton and Swiss government.


During the ride, the 20 gondolas rotate twice around their own axis, making it even easier for guests to enjoy the fantastic all-round view. The 20 gondolas have a powerful battery in the ground, which is charged overnight and supplies the rotating mechanism with power during the day.


The transport capacity is 700 people per hour (old chairlift 435 p/h) and the lift copes with the 404m difference in altitude up to Mostelberg at a maximum speed of 5m per second in just under 6 minutes.

2010 Opening of «Raiffeisen Skywalk» pedestrian suspension bridge

After an extensive planning phase, construction work on the 374 m long pedestrian suspension bridge (Swissrope system) began in spring 2010. At the opening on 10 July 2010, the «Raiffeisen Skywalk» was considered the longest pedestrian bridge in Europe. It spans the Lauitobel at a height of around 58m and connects the Mostelberg with the Mäderenwald forest and is also the starting point for the many hikes in the Hochstuckli area.

2015 Opening of the Magic Tunnel, Kinderland and tubing facility

In order to make the ascent from the ski lift Engelstock and the new Winter Kinderland to Mostelberg easier for children and less experienced winter guests, a tunnel with a conveyor belt was built in 2014 as a «magic tunnel». In December 2014 the first skiers could be transported through the 125m long tunnel with its animations. The summer tubing track was opened in 2015 and is the only one in Switzerland as well as the first track of its kind that leads through a tunnel in the last section. The magic tunnel transports guests back to the station after the tubing ride. The Magic Tunnel is therefore in use in winter as well as in summer


Facts and Numbers

1950 2020
Ride time from Sattel to Mostelberg 12 minutes 6 minutes
Number of employees in permanent employment 2 persons 20 persons
Shareholders 45 3650

Sources and imprint

For this review we used the following sources

  • Annual reports SSH AG and Sattel-Hochstuckli AG
  • Photo archive Sattel-Hochstuckli AG, SOB, various old postcards (collections of the community of Sattel and Pirmin Moser)
  • Archive Rudolf Marty (founding documents)
  • www.seilbahn-nostalgie.ch (Claude Gentil, Samedan)

Editor : Pirmin Moser
Design : Madeleine Zürcher